Friday, March 18, 2011

The World Ties My Hands or Something


Ha Ha, World!

I do not like it when the World comes in and forces me to do something for my own good. I am, by nature, self destructive.

Today, however, I'm stuck. I came to the coffeeshop as I always do, laptop in hand, ready to make a teeny morning of work before heading back to my home when my battery runs out for an afternoon of wishing I was doing work.

But, the World has intervened. It is raining here in San Francisco just like it does in normal parts of the country. It is pouring down a lot of the time, with little bits of clearing and dying down now and then. I have no hat and no umbrella and no cover for my laptop.

But, ha ha, World, today, by chance, on a whim, I happen to bring my laptop power cord with me.

I am trapped. Trapped in the coffeeshop with nothing to do but work. I cannot tell, World, if you thought you were going to trap me without my powercord, like you did that time on the flight back from Boston, when I had all the emergency work to do, and you granted me surprise internet on the flight, but no way to plug the laptop in. I thwarted you there, World, by having a wonderful time on the flight by getting drunk with some terrific old ladies.

Here, somehow, things have worked out between us.

Unless you want to count the time I used, writing this.

Please enjoy the rest of your day.

3 comments:

  1. It just goes to show you: it's always something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting drunk with old ladies sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrzanka, I never want to talk to anybody on a plane. But this lady, Pat, I liked her right off. I had to do all this work and I felt bad for not talking to her. She had snacks and she offered me some. Then, my computer went out and I said, Pat, can I buy you a drink, and she said, Dewar's and soda, and we were off to the races....

    ReplyDelete